We have extensive resources available to our members. Some of the links below will not work if you are not logged in as a member.
- SKILLED MEMBERS: First and foremost, we have over 300 members. Some have been active in woodturning for 10 to 20 years or more. They are available as mentors, and sources of input and advice. One thing about woodturners - we love to talk about what we do and we love to share ideas and suggestions on how to improve our skills!
- GREAT, AFFORDABLE MEETINGS: Our annual line up of meetings is well planned and developed. We schedule nationally and internationally known woodturners to come to our meetings to demonstrate their skills. This happens at a very affordable cost. See our Membership Tab Meetings & Membership for info about membership and meeting costs. The OVWG is unique in all of the national woodturning clubs in its ability to offer such a wide range of programs at such an affordable membership and meeting cost. We can confidently say you won't find better anywhere!
- HANDS-ON LEARNING: When professional demonstrators visit, we offer an opportunity to have small group, hands-on instruction with them. This is typically a group of about 8 members who enjoy an all day class, learning the particular skill taught by the professional demonstrator. There is a cost for attending these events. Go to the Classes tab for more information.
- EQUIPMENT: We currently have 8 Jet 1221VS midi-lathes, 3 Jet 1020 mini-lathes, one 2036 One Way lathe with bed extension, two Powermatic 3520C's, one Laguna 2436 lathe,and one Stubby lathe, along with supporting equipment, including a 18 inch Laguna bandsaw, housed in our 1500 square foot Learning Center. OVWG also has a trailer making it possible to demonstrate in the tri-state area.
- VIDEO LIBRARY: We have an extensive video library that is available at each meeting and at the Learning Center for checkout. Here's a link to a list of what's in our library Videos
- NEWSLETTERS: We have a vast library of newsletters covering past meetings. Each time a demonstration is done by a professional or local woodturner, we write up an extensive review of what they do, including detailed instructions on how to perform the skills that they demonstrate. Any information or handouts that they provide are also included in our Document Library Newsletters
- LINKS TO OTHER RESOURCES: This section of our website Document Library links you to lots of information, how to articles and videos, and more - all of which can help you learn and enjoy the craft of woodturning. In addition check out our Web Links page for connections to hundreds of interesting and useful woodturning web sites.
- SUMMER PROGRAMS: We don't stop turning during the summer! We arrange a varied and interesting lineup of summer events. These include visits to members' shops, small group demonstrations at members' shops, and a "wood day" where a couple of our members cut up a lot of fresh wood and make it available to members. We also do a large group "turn and learn" event for newer members, which involves hands-on instruction from more experienced turners. See Events calendar.
- WOOD: Quite often members bring wood to our meetings to share with other members. Bowl turners like to get freshly cut wood so that they can "rough turn" bowls of various sizes. We let these dry for 6-12 months and them put them back on the lathe and make them round again! Its a lot cheaper than buying kiln dried wood. We're a thrifty bunch!
- CLASSIFIEDS: Members can submit classified ads for publication on the web site. See Classified Ads page for details.
- FORUMS: Online discussion forums and special interest groups available on many woodturning subjects. See Forums page.
- ACCESS: Members have access to restricted portions of the website including a Member Directory and Forums discussion groups. Members can also upload their own photos and manage their own library of woodturning related pictures.
- DISCOUNTS: The club occasionally does group orders with Craft Supplies USA. When the order is large enough Craft Supplies USA gives a nice discount and free shipping. Complete instructions and ordering spread sheet can be found in the Document Library. Refer to the website: www.woodturnerscatalog.com for items, updated pricing or to order a catalog.
- LEARNING CENTER: We have a full time studio with a fully equipped shop. Check out our Event Calendar for schedule of Open Shops, classes and demonstrations.
- OVWG NAME TAGS with a magnetic back are available for $5.00 from member Chris Barrett. To get a name tag, send Chris an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, telling him how you want your name to appear. He will have your name tag at a subsequent meeting.
- OVWG BUSINESS CARDS are available for members to be given out and posted at related wood turning businesses. Contact the club President for a supply.
- BE A DEMONSTRATOR We continue to have opportunities to do demo’s in many different locales. We have an "approved demonstrator" list that receives an email with a chance to volunteer for demo events. If you would like to be on the approved demonstrator list, please contact the club President.