Click Here for 2017 Symposium Information
Welcome to the Website for the Ohio Valley Woodturners Guild!
We are a volunteer group of over 280 people who like to make things out of wood on a lathe. We love to share what we do and help our members and others learn and get better at making functional and decorative things with wood.
We invite everyone to explore our website, visit us at one of our meetings, and even join our group. Our Guild has much to offer: monthly meetings with demonstrations of woodturning skills, classes and open shop time in our fully equipped Learning Center studio, mentors to help new members learn how to turn, and more. Select the "Event Calendar" to see the many meetings and other activities we have underway.
In the "Meetings and Membership" Tab you'll find details about our meetings, and a link to a membership form. In the "About Us" Tab, you'll find our Mission, how we're organized and more.
If you have questions or want to learn more, go the "Contact Us" tab to contact information for the Board members of our Guild.
These are the participants in Michael Mocho's Hands-On class on May 21.
Fortunately there were no other artists in their studios because the chatter exercise was quite loud.
The next opportunity to turn with a professional is August 14-16, 2017 when Bob Rosand will conduct the class. Register HERE before the class is full.
Monthly Meeting - June 17, 2017
The annual Zeller Memorial Picnic will be held at Symmes Township Park at the Leming shelter. Address: 11600 Lebanon Road, Loveland, OH 45140.
Zeller Memorial Picnic
Symmes Township Park
Many activities will be taking place.
- The potluck meal, always a gourmet event. OVWG will provide the main dish and drinks, you will bring either a side dish or a dessert.
- The contest. Turn a finial as part of a turning. The finial will be judged and ribbons awarded in one of three categories: Novice, intermediate and master.
- Demonstrations by:
- Alan Tapp - explaining and showing his shop made threading system
- Bob Hendrickson - explaining and showing how he creates his complex intertwined spindle works
- Dave Kratzer - turning objects of interest on his portable lathe. Dave may even let you take charge of a turning.
- Top turning/spinning competition:
- The longest spinning top in each of the categories gets bragging rights for one year
- The first two category of tops will be created/turned on site at the picnic
- Category 1: Finger propelled, no larger than 2" in diameter
- Category 2: String propelled, no larger than 3" in diameter, OVWG supplies the string
- Category 3: Open, tops brought to the picnic, only requirement - the top must be at least 50% wood.
Any and all tops collected will be donated to the Montessori School located in the KHAC Lindner Annex (the school on the other side of the building from the Learning Center).
August 14-16, 2017
See the course description and register for the class here Register
Award winning website:
Second place in the
2017 AAW Best Chapter website contest